Chances are you are getting pretty anxious as you get closer to your due date. You have been dreaming the past few months of meeting your little one and now you are closer than ever!
Check out The Ultimate Third Trimester Checklist to make sure you have everything you need. Hopefully, by now you have stocked up on baby gear, decorated the nursery, and now the most important checklist is, what needs to be packed in the hospital bag for you, baby and partner.
So where do you start? You want to make sure you don’t leave out the essentials but also that you don’t overpack with things you don’t need.
Read on to see what essential items you want to make sure you pack!
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see affiliate disclaimer
When To Pack A Hospital Bag
Don’t stress too much about when to pack a hospital bag. Talk to your OBGYN or Midwife on when a good time would be. A good time frame is around 37 to 38 weeks because you never know exactly when your little one will arrive unless you have a set induction or c-section date.
I remember when I packed my hospital bag. I was so excited so I packed early thinking I was going to go into labor early. And when I say early I pack at 34 weeks!
That was a big mistake because every time I would see our hospital bags It was a reminder that I was not having a baby yet…
Nope! baby decided she wanted to be three days past her due date!
“WHEN YOU CHANGE THE WAY YOU VIEW BIRTH, THE WAY YOUR BIRTH WILL CHANGE. -MARIE MORGAN “
I was so excited to pack my hospital bag but I was also very NERVOUS! I didn’t want to forget anything. It is like packing for a vacation you are bound to forget at least one thing!
But in this situation, I wanted to have everything. Truth is, you do not need to bring your or your babies whole closet. Depending on what type of delivery you have you may want to pack a few more extra things just in case you end up staying longer than anticipated.
I am glad I packed a few more changes of clothes for my husband and extra things for me. Because we ended up staying in the hospital for three days after having our baby due to some heart complication.
To help with your preparation I have made a checklist of items mom needs, baby needs, and significant other needs!
Hospital Bag CheckList for Mom
Moms that deliver vaginally on average stay in the hospital for one or two days. If a c-section is done staying in the hospital is typically four to five days.
When packing a hospital bag keep in mind how long your stay may be. You can even check and see what the hospital provides so that you know what items you don’t need to pack.
Use this checklist for packing moms hospital bag:
- Photo ID, Insurance Information, and birth plan
- Eyeglasses if you wear them or have contacts
- Two or three pairs of nonskid socks (some hospitals provide socks but they are scratchy and uncomfortable)
- Chapstick! (hospitals are dry and having chapped lips is not fun)
- Ponytail holder or headbands (you probably don’t want to bring clips or bobby pins because they may poke you)
- Your own pillow (hospital pillows are flat, loud and plain uncomfortable. Bringing your own pillow will help you be more comfortable and sleep better)
- Healthy non-perishable snacks
- Nursing/maternity bra (with no underwire)
- Nursing pads (even if you don’t plan on nursing this will help with the leaking)
- Personal items and toiletries: phone chargers, hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, little makeup if you’d like, contact lens case and solution, shampoo, towel since it is nice to feel clean before heading home. (bring travel size items)
- Loose and lightweight clothes for going home in.
- Robe (you can wear those lovely hospital gowns but having your own robe is always nice to wear)
- Maternity underwear (the hospital will give you mesh underwear but wearing your own might be more comfortable)
- Light blanket (optional)
- Nursing pillow
- Small bottle of shampoo and conditioner ( It feels amazing to take a shower before going home. But most hospitals don’t supply these)
- Body soap
- Maternity underwear (I promise you will want comfortable underwear)
Hospital Bag Checklist For Baby
Knowing what to pack in a hospital bag for baby is a little less stressful. Since when you are in the hospital your baby will be in their diaper and blanket. See here is the thing starting out baby’s do not need that much but here are the essentials to pack:
- A warm coming home outfit in different sizes just in case newborn size doesn’t fit
- Swaddle blankets
- Burp cloth
- Car seat
- Hospitals provide diapers and wipes but you can bring some if you’d like
When packing your baby’s bag take note of the weather. If it is winter time when you deliver to make sure you bring a warm going home outfit since newborns don’t have much fat to keep them warm.
Hospital Bag Checklist For Dad
You’ve now packed a bag for mom and baby but, don’t forget to pack one for your partner! Pack things to keep your partner entertained since you will most likely be there for a day or two. Here is a checklist for your partner’s bag:
- Ipad or computer
- Cell phone and charger
- Toiletries: deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, towel, and razor
- Change of clothes ( you may want to bring more than one change of clothes)
- Light blanket (optional)
Once you get the hospital bags packed with what you need and you feel satisfied, find an easy spot to put them near the front door so when it is time you can grab and go!
Packing your hospital bag is so exciting. And like I have said before it is a little overwhelming especially if you are a first-time mom. Becuase you don’t want to miss anything!
I packed and re-packed our hospital bag a few time just to make sure I had everything we needed. And to be honest, the first time I packed our hospital bag I basically packed our closets.
Once I officially packed our hospital bag it was a lot smaller and a lot less stuff then the first few time. And guess what? we had everything we needed. So don’t stress and if you need to spend a few days slowly packing your bags. Just so that you can make sure you have everything you need!
If I missed something on this list let me know in the comments below!